Log in or register to follow or vote for this project.
Tahidi Kenya Project is formed for charitable and educational purposes. The project is committed to working with rural based communities in Kenya to promote children literacy.
Tahidi Kenya Project seeks to network and collaborates with rural based communities, schools, local and international organizations to address issues of rural children education and development.The Project’s initial focus is the remote villages of Homa Bay county located in the Nyanza Province in Kenya with a population of over 327,000 under the age of 10.
Through equipping children with early reading, comprehension and communication skills(speech or writing), we believe the children are set on the right path to better education,and better future.
The most extensive problem in remote rural communities in Kenya is children illiteracy. There are countless children in rural communities who are going through five years of education without learning basic reading, comprehension and communication skills.This adversely affect their future educational pursuit and consequently their future life.
While there has been remarkable progress in getting more children into Kenyan schools during the past decade, much remains to be done to ensure that all children and youth can attain a quality education.
This situation can be attributed to several factors such as:
- Lack of learning and teaching resources
- Lack of attention to individual student due to overcrowded classes. This affects mostly students with special learning needs.
- Poor/ lack of trained teachers
- Lack of motivation to teachers and students alike.
- Regular teachers strike/absentism
- Lack of parental support. Most of the parents are iliterate too.
Tahidi Kenya seeks to supplement the existing learning system through:
- Providing drop-in(after school) one on one literacy support to kids three days a week.
- Teacher workshops focusing on five main components of literacy development: phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension.
- Reading and writing contest at the end of every semester to encourage kids to strive to perfect their literacy skills. The kids will be rewarded based on their perforamnce.
- Reserach on emerging teaching skills and how to incorporate the same in rural based communities in Kenya.