1. What is your innovation?
Situation: Economic rise in Ethiopia is not for orphans and socially destitute young women. These women have no education, no social network, no opportunity. Many of them end up in poverty, prostitution and AIDS.
1. The education we provide is of excellent standard and is directed towards market needs.
2. We aim for the greatest possible financial and organisational self-sustainability of the college.
3. PROJECT-E is run exclusively by volunteer students and young graduates.
2. Who gains the most?
At the New Life Community College, each year 25 Ethiopian girls from socially destitute circumstances are educated to become highly-skilled office assistants. In this way, students are offered a chance to escape poverty, businesses gain access to well-educated, professional office staff, and the local manpower finds employment in labour market.
3. Who pays?
So far, financing has come from private charity from Europe and European development agencies. Since September 2009, the inauguration date, we have raised so far more than € 500,000. A minimal amount of 4% is spent on administration cost.
One of the major aims of New Life Community College is to achieve self-sufficiency to the greatest extent possible. For that sake we are establishing a wide-spread cooperation network with the Ethiopian private sector.
4. What is your success?
Our main success is that we succeed in improving the fate of a social group who can’t improve their desperate situation on their own. Apart from that we give an example for successful change to the better in an extremely poor society and we contribute to providing local businesses with well trained staff.
5. How will you do it?
1. Increase financial independency from Western donors through three-pillar funding approach e.g. external trainings, graduate's pay-back period
2. Cooperation with strong local partner organization for gradually transferring all responsibility for the college to our partner organization
3. Strong link to business community for market oriented academic training
4. Highly motivated, well educated staff in Ethiopia and well committed voluntarily working team with work experience in Europe