Log in or register to follow or vote for this project.
The youth in the Nkozi area (Uganda) have little or no choice but to work either as 'BodaBoda' (Motorbike) operators for the men, and fruit and vegetable venders for the women. Little do they know that they are sitting on treasure, plastics! Plastics are littered everywhere with no means of managing them. We plan to setup a task force to reveal the secrets of these seemingly useless treasures for the benefit of the people of Nkozi who have treated us like one of their own ever since we joined this peaceful and loving community.
This project consists of 3 major stages that are necessary to achieve our goal and will be repeated in the same order to sustain the project over time. With time, we would like to build on the scope of the project.
Stage 1: Education
- create a forum for sensitization of how plastic wastes affect our environment and living conditions
- prominent people in this field may be invited to speak
- create alliance with other universities and share knowledge, exchange ideas
- join lobbying organisations dedicated to advancing environmental initiatives, and also work with other organisations and community based institutions to support the project
Stage 2: Manage to Benefit
- initiate the collection, cleaning, packing and weighing of the plastic waste
- the whole process will be done in readiness to sell to the recycling companies
- those who will be involved in the collection of plastics will be paid according to the weight of the plastic waste they present. The more plastic waste the more the payment
- sponsors will be able to brand the recycle bins that will be set up all around UMU and surrounding community as well as participate in local cleanup activities
Stage 3: Initiate reduce, reuse, recycle:
- train community to use plastic waste creatively as sources of income or means of self employment
- use of plastics as flower pots for aesthetic value
- use of plastics as fashion accessories (e.g. purses, travel bags)
- use of bottles for bottle irrigation for some plants around the school
- having creative competitions such as fashion shows
- inter-hall competitions
My team and I are convinced these stages, with proper management, will deliver the project goals.