Log in or register to follow or vote for this project.
Kenyan waterbodies are rapidly clogging with water weeds that degrade the water quality and reduce their economic viability. Lake Victoria affects over 30 million people has high volumes of hyacinth flowing in covering about 3 Ha everyday; almost 680 KM2 in total.It covers over 60% of the Ugandan shoreline and about 2000 Ha around a Kenyan port at Kisumu and the plant can double its mass in 6-15 days. This has led to 50-75% reduction in fish landings, blocking irrigation channels and impeding boat transport. The H.E.P plant at Owen Falls uses about US $600000 per year to keep the weeds from turbines.Kenya depends heavily on agriculture and most industries don't utilize their degradable wastes economically which ends up rotting emitting harmful greenhouse gases which are 20 times more potent than CO2 yet the wastes have a potential to produce 29-131 MW of electricity; about 3.2-16.4% of the total country's requirement.
Green Empowerment enables the agricultural waste, even of small scale farmers and dried hyacinth, to be utilized to produce biogas used to run generators to produce electricity and rich organic manure. All types of biodegradable wastes (agricultural, municipal and water weeds) are utilized. This is achieved through a centralized model of agricultural waste collection from farms and industries to bulk quantities for economical utilization.
- Farmers get the value of their otherwise useless waste thus bettering the profitability of their farming ventures and life quality
- Employment will be provided to youth groups in waste collection
- Utilizing biodegradable waste ensures their decomposition doesn't increase carbon emissions
- Use of organic manure reduces environmental degradation from use of industrial fertilizers and enables production of healthier produce
- Utilizing hyacinth eases its negative effects on water bodies like Lake Victoria
- Greenhouse gas emission to the environment is reduced and utilized profitably
- Production of green energyPoverty reduction amongst small-scale farmers
- Bio-fertilizer promotes organic farming leading to healthier living and a less polluted environment due to the reduction of use of chemical fertilizers
- Gas produced is used as an alternative to charcoal and firewood effectively reducing deforestation and emissions from the burning of these energy sources.