Your video pitch is an important component of your project, and a requirement for all Semi-Finalist projects. Here are some guidelines to think about before you create your video pitch.
Your video pitch should be no longer than two minutes. To add your video to your project page, you must first upload the video to either YouTube or Vimeo. Please tag with "Dell Social Innovation Challenge" or "Dell Education Challenge". Once your video is uploaded, you will add the URL or embed code to the "Project Video" field on your project page. If you are unable to access YouTube and Vimeo in your country, please let me know and we'll make special arrangements.
We welcome your creativity! If you want to use animation or behind-the-scenes footage to demonstrate your points, that's great. But always remember that your message is the most important part of your video. In your video, you should quickly make sure the audience knows:
- Who you are
- What problem you want to solve
- Who you will help by solving it
- Where the problem is happening
- Why the audience should care
- Why the problem has been happening
- How you propose solving the problem
You can then fill in your story with more details about your team's plans to solve each aspect of the problem. As you do this, keep these tips in mind:
- Use simple language and avoid words that might be unfamiliar to people who don't know much about your issue
- Avoid abstract data – use facts people can relate to
- Include short stories and examples of the people you'll help
- Speak clearly and avoid making distracting hand gestures
- Wear solid-colored clothing and simple jewelry
Once you have these things down, it's time for the most important tip of all, and that's to practice. Practice in front of a mirror, in front of your team members and in front of people who know nothing about your project. Then record your pitch and watch it before creating your final video. And new this year, we will be awarding a special prize to the team with the best Semi-Finalist video!
Good luck! And remember, you have the power to change the world. Now show us you can do it!